The purpose of content promotion on media platforms is not to just get your message through to as many people as possible. It is to ensure that this message is relevant to those who get it – otherwise, you get yet another example of spray and pray media promotion.
The rule of 80/20 is applicable in this direction as well. 80 percent of your target audience hangs out on a few platforms only. The winning strategy is not to spread your message across as many platforms as possible – it is to single out these couple of platforms and put all your effort into building a good relationship with them and create high-quality, useful, relevant content for them.
Choosing the Right Media Platforms for Content Promotion
The platforms you should concentrate on are the ones with the most influence in your niche. If you keep track of your industry, you already know some of them, as they are the primary source of info. The rest you can easily search in a search engine with your main keywords.
Try Googling “social media marketing blogs”. The search returns SocialMediaExaminer, Hubspot blog, and Hootsuite blog as top results, which means that they should be your primary targets.
Bear in mind, however, that it works both ways. You want your content on the best media platforms so that the greatest number of relevant people can see it. Platform owners want the best content from industry influencers that can bring them new readers – and the higher their ratings are, the choosier they get. Before you reach out to the top players, you already should have made a name for yourself as an expert and have a history of producing useful content that attracts readers on other media platforms (or your own blog/website).
Benefits of Content Promotion on Media Platforms
Promoting a piece of content in media elevates your standing in the niche and generates organic traffic. It helps with brand building as you can use content to develop a ‘personality’ for your business.
Efficient content promotion on media platforms also results in quality backlinking. It boosts your SEO and increases your website’s organic traffic.
Content Promotion Methods
You can leverage media platforms for the promotion of your content in two ways:
- publish your content on their platform as an expert/ guest blogger
- approach other authors and ask them to link back to your content.
Guest posting means publishing your content on media platform or someone else’s blog.
To promote a large piece of your original content through guest posts you can:
- Create a post on the same subject that will include a backlink to the content piece you want to promote.
- Rewrite your piece completely making a new large and informative article. It must include backlinks to your company and original content.
- Create a highly detailed guest post from a small piece of your original content referring the readers to it for more.
Any guest posting strategy starts with researching the media platforms you want to post on. Take your time and learn everything you can about each of them.That’s a tedious work, but in the long run, one thoroughly researched platform will be of more use than a dozen you’ve approached haphazardly.
Intro to guest posting process:
- Learn if they accept guest posts in the first place.
- If they do, learn their guidelines for guest contributors.
- Pitch the ideas or write the post with this info in mind.
- Pitch the post to the media platform/blog.
More details about guest posting process you can read in our guide ‘Guest Posting Strategy Step-by-Step’.
If you want your guest posting efforts to bring results, keep in mind that landing a guest post onto a relevant platform is just a first step. There is a lot of work to do to get most of it:
- Promoting it on your channels. Mention it in your blog, on your Twitter, Facebook and all other social media platforms
- Writing a tie-in post for your blog. Choose a topic that is somehow connected to the one covered in the guest post and send your readers to read it for additional info
- Subscribe to the comments and reply to them in a timely and relevant manner. This will not just increase your brand visibility and improve your position as an expert but earn you a few valuable backlinks as well.
Let’s list some other ways to get high-quality backlinks to your content:
- Using high-ranking social bookmarking and networking sites
- Posting press releases on popular news media platforms
- Submitting large pieces of content (e-books, white papers, etc.) to relevant document sharing websites
- Commenting posts on niche-relevant blogs (make sure your comments are relevant as well, otherwise you will be penalized for spam and/or banned by the blog)
- Using broken links. Many websites link to pages that were there at one point in the past but are no longer there. If you have content that is similar to what was on these now absent pages, you can contact the website owner and suggest that they replace their broken link with a working one leading to your website. Alternatively, you can create content specifically to replace these “missing links”
- Link suggesting. Links to relevant content may serve as a value-adding element. When you find articles that may benefit from links leading to your website, you can suggest that their owner does just that.
Content promotion on media platforms is an effective way to increase traffic and boost your brand’s popularity. Use guest posting in conjunction with backlinking to achieve best results from your marketing efforts and remember:
Note that these are the active methods to receive backlinks. You can generate backlinks being passive as well, but that’s a story for another article.